Name of Event: Countering Mayoral Control of Public Schools: Building a Movement for a New and Just Education System.
Organizer: Bretch Forum
Amount of Hours: 2hrs
It was very interesting to be part of this event. I got a lot of information on the work of the panel that presented; it was clear to me that they were pretty passionate about reforming education. While the different speakers presented their associations and talked on different aspect of how they were working on the education reform, they all had the same purpose.
As the name of the event "Countering Mayoral Control of Public Schools: Building a Movement for a New and Just Education System" made it pretty obvious what the purpose of these association was; I felt that the speakers were authentic and truly concerned about education providing the best one to the children in NYC. However, I got the impression that they wanted to, somewhat, privatize education. I guess I was confused on how they would go about this reform movement. By countering mayoral control of public school, who exactly is to be in charge? Would it be a group of people, or a specific person, or a mix of both? I just got really confuse on that part.
Besides that I think that it was very refreshing to know that there are more then one group out there fighting for what education is about. The notion of education becoming a business can be very frightening and sad. Therefore having groups like NYCORE, Time Out from Testing, Center for Immigrants Families, and ICOPE, really showed me as a future teacher the fight for justice in education, and in any other things for that matter, is possible. It is really a matter of coming together and standing up for what we believe in.
Organizer: Bretch Forum
Amount of Hours: 2hrs
It was very interesting to be part of this event. I got a lot of information on the work of the panel that presented; it was clear to me that they were pretty passionate about reforming education. While the different speakers presented their associations and talked on different aspect of how they were working on the education reform, they all had the same purpose.
As the name of the event "Countering Mayoral Control of Public Schools: Building a Movement for a New and Just Education System" made it pretty obvious what the purpose of these association was; I felt that the speakers were authentic and truly concerned about education providing the best one to the children in NYC. However, I got the impression that they wanted to, somewhat, privatize education. I guess I was confused on how they would go about this reform movement. By countering mayoral control of public school, who exactly is to be in charge? Would it be a group of people, or a specific person, or a mix of both? I just got really confuse on that part.
Besides that I think that it was very refreshing to know that there are more then one group out there fighting for what education is about. The notion of education becoming a business can be very frightening and sad. Therefore having groups like NYCORE, Time Out from Testing, Center for Immigrants Families, and ICOPE, really showed me as a future teacher the fight for justice in education, and in any other things for that matter, is possible. It is really a matter of coming together and standing up for what we believe in.
No comments:
Post a Comment