Friday, November 14, 2008

Special Screening and Discussion: I love Hip Hop in Morocco

Special Screening and Discussion: I love Hip Hop in Morocco
Time: Wednesday, 11/12, 7-10p
Place: The Gottesman Libraries, Columbia University
Discussion led by: Dr. Louis Francis Cristillo, and Joshua Asen
Amount of hours: 3 hours

This documentary film recorded a real story of a group of Hip Hop artists in Morocco who successfully held three concerts in three Moroccan cities with the help of Josh Asen and his American friend. The film reflects that many Moroccan youth have been using Hip Hop as a tool to criticize current problems in their society and also to fight for the freedom of speech. Morocco is an Islamic country which was a former French and Spanish Colony. It has been a gateway between Africa, Europe and the Middle East. People in Morocco mostly believe in Islam. Under Islamic religion, people are forbidden to do many things, such as cursing. However, high unemployment, poverty, terrorism, and monarchy government have become great issues in this country. In May 2003, Morocco was even attacked by Osama Bin Laden to call for “Return to Islam.” Young people find that Hip Hop music can be used to express their angers and anxieties toward the real life. Even though Hip Hop music is traditionally considered as an underground "bad" music in the society, it quickly gets the attention and interests from many young people because it is telling the truth. It is just as the elder said in the film that " words is a weapon, but it's not enough." One of the artists sings in the film,"You got to stand up and make a change." I think these artists are making changes in Morocco.

The film is far more interesting and meaningful than I expected. I am happy that I have opportunity to attend this event. I learned a very different view of common people in Islamic country from the one that was usually portrayed in our media. In the film, many young Hip Hop artists are very brave to say “No” to the religion rules, the king and the society through their music. As a future teacher, I could now see how prejudice our society are towards Islamic people just because of their religion belief. Just as we have talked in our class, Asia is not one country; so countries that are predominantly Islamic can not be generalized as one unity. From this film, I also learned that people will learn well especially through their interests. Many Hip Hop artists, such as DJ key, are all self-educated about making Hip Hop music. The songs that they wrote are mostly about the issues that they are concerned. So as a future teacher I should make effort to identify students’ interests and then design my lessons based on their interests and issues that they are concerning about.

2 comments:

Hannah R said...

I agree with your astute comments and wish I had attended the film. You said that hip-hop was a form of their expression of resistance. I think this is true about hip hop in the states as well, especially in its beginning. When hip hop was coming out from the Bronx in the late 70s/80s, it was rebelling against a lot of oppressive forces. It was a way for the people of circumstances that we not white, rich or evangelical to stand up and say we are here and we matter, too.

I think that hip hop, both there are here, both then and now, lets people represent a culture, an experience, that is very important, even when it is not acknowledged or considered as it should be to the rest of society and the world.

Emily said...

I love that Hip Hop is being used as a communication tool. Sometimes I feel as though it is not valued as a real art form, which is is. It is great that Moroccan youth are using it as an outlet for their anger instead of more destructive things. This is something productive that can make a statement to the world. It is true that Hip Hop sometimes does get a bad reputation, especially among older generations. However it is also true that it is a surefire way to reach the youth of our generation! This could be utilized as a great teaching tool to help our own students understand the conflict going on in the Middle East. It sounds like you got a lot out of it also Xin!