Ann Marie’s experience reminded me of the workshop I attended at the citywide conference for NYC parents at the Hilton. The first session I attended at the workshop focused on early warning signs of autism. While I feel that the presenter could have delivered the information in a more comprehensive and clear manner, I do feel that the session was informative and provided parents and others attending the session with a brief overview of characteristics of autism. The session could also serve as a starting point for more personal research and inquiry. The conference Ann Marie’s attended seems like it would be beneficial to both parents and teachers. Learning more about the behavioral issues children with autism may exhibit is important, as it allows parents and teachers to better understand their children and students, and to reach them on a more personal and effective level. Understanding and targeting the behaviors often associated with children with autism is beneficial to a child’s social, emotional, and academic growth and development. If parents and teachers are informed about their students and children, it will create the opportunity for a more positive support system to develop. At the same time, I agree with the presenter’s idea that it is important to enable students to become independent. I feel that it is extremely important for students, at home and at school, to feel self-empowered. When students feel that they are independent individuals, they are more likely to be self-aware and confident. When this occurs, they are likely to take responsibility in their education and goals.
Also, this is the first time I have heard about creating a particular sleeping pattern for children with autism and I am wondering if or how sleep patterns specifically affect children with autism.
No comments:
Post a Comment