I wish I had attended the breakfast Hannah wrote about! I think it is so interesting to look at issues affecting schools, teachers, and students from various perspectives. I agree with the idea that classrooms must be calm, yet intellectually challenging. There is a huge difference between a classroom that is exciting because students are eager to learn and interested in what they are learning about, then one that is stimulating because students are concerned, worried or anxious. In two books I have read while at NYU, Educating Esme and One Child, the author discusses various ways to maintain a calm, yet interesting and exciting learning environment. One way that sticks out in my mind, is having a box near the door in which students can leave there worries behind. There is paper and pencils available next to the box for students to write on. If students enter the classroom, and are feeling upset, angry, or worried, they can write about their feelings on a piece of paper and leave it in the box. The goal of the box is for the students to enter the classroom with a fresh start each day. At the same time, it allows the teacher to find out more about the students’ lives outside of the classroom, and what may be affecting their behavior and performance during school.
I completely agree with your statement, “we should be providing educators with what they need to make the changes themselves.” As educated individuals, who are dedicated to their students and their well-being, teachers should be given the support and resources they need to create positive change in their classrooms, schools, and communities. It seems like the notion of teacher-proofing education leads to conformity among all schools and classrooms. Students are individuals, and teachers must be given the support to reach their students, and help them achieve, grow and develop on a personal and meaningful level. It is individualized education and differentiation that allows students to succeed inside and outside of the classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment